Sunday 26 April 2009

ESAS - Royal Observertory of Greenwich trip

Well yesterday Kelly and I went on the Trip to the Royal Observatory of Greenwich (ROG), This is home to the Prime Meridian of the World, its basically the line where you all align your clocks too...... Its why you are +8(GMT) or -8(GMT), GMT = Greenwich Mean Time..


we have been before but we thought well its a day out, so lets do this again. At the ROG, they had a new Planetarium. So We thought we would give that ago. I have been to a Planetarium before, and it was that I believe that triggered my fascination for Astronomy....

The Peter Harrison Planetarium at Greenwich, has a cone which is one of the single largest uses of bronze in the world, It is made of nearly 250 individual plates welded together and made to look like on piece, the shape of the cone is related to the stars and unique to its location in Greenwich.



The whole Planetarium is aligned with the prime meridian line, the sloping side of the cone points towards the north celestrial pole.


The north side of the cone is aligned with the point in the sky perpendicular to the Greenwich local Horizon (zenith). The cone is sliced at the angle parallel to the celestial equator....

I hope I didn't bore you with those facts, but I found them interesting and its what I am into, so there I shared it :)

Kelly and I also went to the National Maritime Museum, the last time we went we didn't cover the whole museum so this time we just looked around some of the bits we liked before and the ones we missed, which included Lord Nelson uniform, that he wore when he got shot by a french sniper in the battle of Trafalgar, you could see the bullet hole in the Left shoulder, I always thought he tripped over the plague on the HMS victory saying Lord Nelson Fell here lol.

Anyway the day came to a close, and we headed home, I think Kelly had done a lot judging by the fact she feel asleep on the way home....

When we got back we went to the Rainbow for dinner and then went home. All in all I enjoyed the day the weather was nice, the company was nice. Anyway I got to go now it Sunday so its time to go and see Tanis.

BFN

No comments:

Post a Comment